Monday, September 5, 2011

Not Your Typical First Day of School

I never expected our first week of school to become so busy. I’ve had to rearrange my school schedule several times. It was actually good for me.  I love to schedule things, so learning to be flexible is good for my structured nature.  I finally decided that Labor Day would be the first day instead of Tuesday. We didn’t have anything to do in the morning, so it worked out well.
We took our first day of school picture outside this year.






















Then, we started with our new daily routine. We first went over our new verse for the next two weeks (Jeremiah 33:3). This year we will be doing the date, Nicholas’ full birthday, our address and home phone number. Once these are memorized, we’ll change it out for other important information he needs to know.






Then, we colored a picture to go with our Bible verse. I found several free resources for Seeds Family Worship verses on BibleStoryPrintables.com. He’ll color and learn two verses a month.








We worked on Math today, which was just a quick review of counting and one-to-one correspondence. I think the first few weeks will be a lot of review, which is always good.







We took a short break before starting on our spelling lesson. We worked on four phonograms that had more than one sound. Nicholas picked them up pretty quickly. I’m going to wait until the end of the week to see if he still knows them before I consider them mastered.


Finally, we worked on handwriting. We’re taking a slow pace of 2 pages/day, twice a week. Nicholas has been writing many of his letters for awhile. But, he needs to learn how to stay in the lines and to work on neatness. I may pick up a few things too. I could never get above “satisfactory” in handwriting while I was in school.












I was pretty happy with how much we got accomplished today. Nicholas had fun too, which always makes things easier. I will update more on our busy week to come.  It's filled with swimming lessons, appointments, and more!

No comments: